Monday 23 January 2012

'Glee': 'Yes/No' Love/Hate

I have a love/hate relationship with Glee, as in I love watching it, but I hate to admit to it because the show's so insipid. It's one of those shows, like Grey's Anatomy, that takes itself a little too seriously in spite of the fact that it's not a very smart or very quality. It's got some talented performers and some really fun little tangents, but for the most part it kind of sucks.

But I still freaking love watching it in spite of all reason.** I mean, they sing and dance! Jazz hands!

Like with any show, some of its episodes are better than others. I finally caught up with last week's episode "Yes/No" over the weekend, wherein [SPOILER ALERT, as if you care at this point] Shu proposed to Emma. Whatevs. This show isn't really about plot anyway. There was something kind of magical about this episode, though. I can't place my finger on it, but there was a lot of awesome to go around. Here's a chronological list of the things in the episode that I loved and the things I hated.*** Just for funsies.

Oh, one thing you should know about me is that I tend to skew all my conclusions about Glee in a positive direction toward Rachel, Blaine, Santana, Mike Chang, and Brittany because I like them the best.

LOVED:
1. 'Summer Nights' totally worked for me. Santana is TOTALLY the Rizzo of that group. We were all waiting for Sam to go for that note at the end, and I appreciated the attempt. The Grease theme this episode started with and then totally abandoned was fun, even if Sam and Mercedes have no chemistry. At all.

2. This episode was directed by former teen idol/Meg's husband in Little Women Eric Stoltz.

3. 'Wedding Bell Blues'!!!! You KNOW I love love love that song. And I've always liked Emma's muppet-ness anyway. It reminded me of that great number in Hairspray with the toilet paper veil.

4. The synchronized swim coach. She's got a chip on her shoulder about the stereotype about African Americans and swimming, and she's not afraid to use it.

5. Lea's tears in 'The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face', which was a 100% beautiful number by all involved. Chills.

6. Emma's weird ginger-supremacist parents. Is that even a thing? They make me laugh.

7. MS. LEA. MICHELE. I thought I hated that David Guetta song. It turns out all it needed was Rachel Berry to make it a goosebumps ballad. Wowsers. Wow. Sers. Rewind.

8. Synchro proposal! I want one!

9. Thinking about the logistics of Artie going head first into the pool, wheelchair and all. That's a mind puzzle.

10. Finn's adorable little proposal (but see #5 below).

HATED:

1. Anything involving Coach Beiste's love life. *Shudders*

2. 'Moves Like Jagger/Jumpin' Jack Flash'. Gross. Two songs I do not like in one evil little package. So bad.

3. Just let Finn join the Army! Holy crap, people.

4. Will Shuster being lame. Don't make Emma cry, Will. Ugh, he sucks so bad. (He redeemed himself a little with the synchro proposal later in the ep.)

5. Rachel CANNOT marry Finn. Good bye, NYADA ; hello, Ohio School of Dramatic Arts? Boo. No.

For a real recap and commentary of this show, you should read Because We Watch Too Much TV. For some reason, I felt compelled to write about it this week! Here's to hoping we get more Blaine next week, and a "no" from Rachel!


**This paradox is what I like to call One Tree Hill Syndrome.

***My younger sister will recognize this very list as the body of a Glee fun rant email she received last night.

1 comment:

  1. It's like they TRY to make that show ridiculous. Agree about the David Guetta song. I always changed the David version when it came on the radio. He should be ashamed that his version exists alongside hers. Rachel is totally saying yes, you know. They are keeping her on the show.

    ReplyDelete